Although I am not married, I was a huge Emily-and-Kirby’s-Wedding enthusiast. I was the maid of honor, which can be quite a task. One of my most important MOH duties was making a speech.
I only made one other wedding speech before, at my sister’s wedding. I was 17, didn’t know the groom that well, and was insanely nervous. I was so much more comfortable leading up to my speech for Em and Kirby because, well, I wasn’t a teenager anymore. Plus I was BFFs with both the bride and groom, which makes it extra fun. We had even been talking about my speech at their wedding for years before they were even engaged.
That was the only thing that made me nervous- the hype. I had been saying for years, “My speech at your wedding is going to be SO. EPIC.” I wasn’t exactly thinking about how that build up would feel when the day finally came. But when I sat down to write it, it all came together and I knew it would be what Em and Kirby had been looking forward to.
Here are some tips that helped me write my speech:
- As soon as you know they’re getting married, take notes (real or mental) of stories or thoughts you want to include in the speech. I took mental notes of random funny stuff they told me about their relationship over the years, and I ended up having a lot to work with. When your friend tells you something quirky or romantic about their future partner, write it down- then you will feel so much more prepared with a bunch of material when you sit down to write it.
- Even if you are primarily the bride’s best friend, for example, include the groom in your speech. Not just, “I think he will make you so happy, he’s a keeper, etc.” If you know him pretty well, tell a story about your first impression of him. Maybe what you thought when they announced their engagement, and how you feel now. It may seem like a no-brainer, but I feel like some people miss the opportunity to talk more about the groom in their speeches since they are obviously excited about their best friend. But it will make half of your audience a lot more interested. :)
- Crying and laughing are always good things. I’m not gifted at saying gushy, emotional things, so I went for laughter. If you are the type of person who can just pour their heart out, do it. I love crying at weddings. Even at the reception. Plus, it’s awesome to make your friend cry at her wedding. I managed to make people laugh, and if you’re good at that, it is just as satisfying.
- (Roughly) memorize what you’re going to say. This really helped me with both speeches I made. I still brought a piece of paper out and used it, but I had my bullet points and punch lines memorized so I could deliver it smoothly and with eye-contact.
When I was about to write my speech, I definitely got overwhelmed- especially since I had been so close to both Em and Kirb for so long. Hopefully those little tips will help spark some ideas if you are giving a speech this wedding season!
Without further ado, here is my wedding speech that I kept from Em’s wedding, in case you are curious. :)
- Hi everyone, I’m Stephanie, the Maid of Honor.
- Emily and I grew up together here in the Valley. We met in Junior High but became close in High School. Just when things were getting really good- we had a great system of passing each other notes and coordinating bathroom breaks from our classes to meet up and walk by the swim class where our crushes would be- she decides to switch high schools. Transfer over to Soquel, where they didn’t even know where Felton was or that it existed. I still don’t really understand this decision- she would have to drive 20 extra minutes, she was leaving me, she didn’t know anyone over there, she was leaving me, and SHE WAS LEAVING ME. I guess fate had a different plan…she met Kirby over there…but was it worth it? *Shrug*
- Emily and I have always been on the same page, and we have always been so considerate of each other. We are just each other’s girl crushes for life. We always dress up for each other, and we have only had 2 fights in the 10 years we have been friends. And those consisted of us telling each other sorry a bazillion times and crying, saying how great the other person is. She is my best friend, and we have been talking about this moment for years, and I’m not going to cry, so moving on. I just love you, okay?
- I met Kirby when we were like 16. I always admired his hair- very Disney original movie heartthrob (if you haven’t seen pictures, I’m sure you can find them inside the house-worth it). But I was very skeptical. Emily had a crush on him for FOREVER- why didn’t they just date already? It seemed odd to me. In my book, if you like my friend, you either profess your love for her right away because obviously she’s perfect, or you can get out. So I wasn’t really on Kirby’s team in the beginning.
- Fast forward to them FINALLY dating. I was all for it by then, since I’ve been hearing about this guy for YEARS- just go for it already. I knew that Kirby and I would get along when he accepted right away that I was going to know EVERYTHING about him and their relationship. *Pause* That was a great sign in my opinion. No resistance.
- Now Kirby and I are best friends too. I lived in San Diego down the street from them for two years and we became very close. I would be there to watch sports with Kirby when Emily didn’t want to (not because I like sports, but because I like Kirby and, more importantly, beer). He would tell me how the game works, and I would kill the mood by pointing out sexist undertones. He is like family to me now, and he even became a role model for me as far as what I was looking for in a guy. When I’m with him and Emily, it truly feels like home.
- So Emily is my best friend, Kirby is my best friend, and I always want to hang out with them- so that’s reason enough for them to get married and be with me forever. But they also happen to be perfect for each other. Ugh, it’s actually really disgusting at times. They are so “that couple”, you know? Well, I’m sure you guys all know. You’ve seen it.
- Anyway, a great example is the night that Kirby’s alarm went off on his phone when we were all hanging out at Alesha’s house. I asked him what he would have an alarm for at 8 at night, and he super nonchalantly answers me, like it is the most normal thing in the world: “Oh, it’s me and Em’s vitamin alarm”. *Pause* At that moment, I knew this was the beginning of something great. Kirby’s face immediately changed. I just looked at him, trying to keep it together and not crack up immediately and just say “What, are you 80??”. Emily is sitting there thinking this is a totally normal thing and doesn’t know what’s going on. Kirby sighs and goes “She always makes me think these things are totally normal until I say them out loud to someone else and realize how ridiculous and old we are, and how no one else does these things.” Emily started to smile and laugh and they told us how they wanted to make sure they were taking their vitamins regularly together, and it was a goal of theirs to not forget, and yadda yadda. It was hilarious. That was one of the moments when I knew they were perfect for each other.
- That’s what is so great about their relationship- Kirby whole-heartedly will throw all of his toiletries out if Em wants to go green. He will stay home and clean the house with her last minute if she’s feeling too chaotic. He is 100% on the same page and on her side, whatever her project might be. He supports her and calms her down, and Emily keeps Kirby on his toes. And she brings out the silly side of him.
- Fooooor example… *Pause* The time they were doing dishes and a little bubble popped out of the dish soap and was floating around the kitchen. For some reason, (do not ask me, I was not there) they decided that they should “keep it alive”. They proceed to dance around their apartment, waving and blowing this bubble around into their living room for like 20 minutes. *Pause* This is why I am so glad they found each other early on. They’re pretty weird. And they are perfect for each other.
- That’s why I am so glad that we- I mean they- are getting married. Seriously though- I told my mom that they were engaged and she said as I was leaving, “Tell Kirby and Emily congratulations for me!” and my response was “Oh, thank you!” *Pause* It seriously just came out. Freudian slip. So thanks for coming to our wedding everyone! We are all going to be so happy together. (And I can’t wait to go to Costa Rica!)
- Cheers to Emily and Kirby!