…and not mad about it!
It’s my mother’s birthday today and I had been putting together this list for a few weeks now, after I started to see a pattern. Here are some things about my mom that I never expected to adopt myself. Funny how parents manage to pull that off… :)
- Avoiding bras – I totally get it now. Just – why?
- Wanting to wear long flowy dresses and skirts at all times
- Saying things like “I feel like a stepped on frog” (the PERFECT way to describe my state of mind on a Monday morning), “Once in a blue moon” or “At any rate…” Such mom phrases.
- Making time to take a bath with a good book.
- Wanting more plants around at all times.
- Constantly wanting all the windows open – even if it means risking public nudity at times (I just need to change real quick…if I do it at lightspeed no one will see…). I need sunlight!
- We share the same hatred of grocery shopping. Why is it always so damn cold in there?
- I inherited her polite and professional phone voice. All those years of her training me to say “One moment, please” instead of “Hold on” paid off in my professional life.
- Most problems can be solved by sitting outside with a drink of any kind.
- If you want something, go out and get it. Once people hear you speak, you are much more likely to get where you want to be. Show up at the office of the job you want and get in front of the person hiring. Knock on the door of the place with a For Rent sign instead of calling. One of many lessons that helped me be a stronger, more kick-ass person (when I want to be).
- Naps are important and always justified.
My mom instilled a lot of things in me. To take care of my mental health with the outdoors and quiet time to myself. To fake it til you make it and value my intelligence as something everyone should, and will, recognize. That I’m smart enough to do anything. That being comfortable and happy at any moment is just as important as anything else.
Happy Birthday, Mom! <3