So I was laying in bed last night, getting mentally prepared for another week, and I started obsessing over the things I want to get done. I thought I might share my to do list with you that I have been compiling lately – maybe it’s similar to yours?

1. Cook at home more often
  2. Get a toned body
  3. Eat super healthy all the time
  4. Learn how to actually do my hair right
  5. Quit my job and blog and become internet-famous
  6. Know about all of the local, domestic, and foreign political issues
  7. Become an activist for women’s and minority rights and have an impact on the world
  8. Make my own cleaning supplies
  9. Produce no waste (like this chick)
  10. Learn how to keep plants alive

FullSizeRender (50)
My newest victim, who is now looking super depressed and wilty. In this picture it had no idea what type of person had its fate in her hands. Look how happy it was.

Ever since I’ve gotten back my normal energy and mood, I’ve been feeling great and wanting to tackle new goals. However, I also still enjoy binge watching shows on Netflix and doing nothing with my boyfriend at home. Plus I work full time. That leaves little time for all the things I want to do.

But seriously, do you guys ever feel this way? Like I know people who do alllll this amazing shit all the time and still have full time jobs like me. I guess I’ve never been the type of person to take on a lot – I really like having a lot of down time and I’ve always made that a priority. And I’m fine with that, until I have a moment as I’m trying to fall asleep where I get overwhelmed with all the things I’ve been wanting to do but haven’t done.

My two biggest things right now are blogging and working out. They are the two things that I want to do consistently and I have goals associated with – but they are also the two things I need to be the most careful about. I don’t want them to start to feel like work or something that I dread. I want to work it into a convenient schedule that feels natural – and I don’t want to beat myself up if I have a week or two where I just can’t mentally get myself to it. And now the two seem to be competing – if I have some time after work, it’s either work out or blog. I don’t want to slack on either, but I also don’t want to cut into my watching SVU and sleeping in time.

Sometimes all I want to do is come home from work and do absolutely nothing. How do you guys do it? What goals are you struggling to reach? I would love to hear how you manage it!

6 Comments on To Do

1. Kristina
    February 17, 2016 at 5:31 pm (2 years ago)

I’m constantly in awe of a few teachers at school who seem to accomplish a lot. I asked them the same question, “How do you get it all done?” One said she cries at night the other said she doesn’t actually get it all done. Moral of the story? No one’s really doing it all. Yes, some people are more productive and better at managing their time but I think we have some seriously unrealistic expectations for ourselves.

In terms of being more productive and managing time, I’m really enjoying what I’m getting out of The Organized Mind (http://www.amazon.com/The-Organized-Mind-Thinking-Information/dp/052595418X).

• Stephanie
      February 18, 2016 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

Hahaha one cries at night! Okay, we are not alone! Good point – I definitely need to give myself realistic expectations and not compare myself to others as much. That book looks super interesting, thanks for sharing! Super great to hear from you, hope you’re doing well!

2. Krissy
    February 17, 2016 at 7:36 pm (2 years ago)

Lol this struggle is MY LYFE! I go back and forth between the struggle to work on all the exciting projects and needing to totally shut down, although i dont think i am as in touch with the down time side as you are, which is awesome! It starts to feel a little unhealthy sometimes, which is when Mat reminds me that i need to chill. I am basically just really on and working hard or totally off. I actually just started reading the happiness project, which is basically about building habits around the change you want in your life, like 4 or so in a month, in a logical order, and then stacking month on month. So you build all these positive changes over a year, but focus on small goals. It makes a lot of sense! Energy is the first topic in the book, and it talks a lot about going to bed early and waking up early, which is something i struggle with super hard. I think it is definitely something I need to work on that will translate to other areas, too.

• Stephanie
      February 18, 2016 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

Oh man, it must be particularly hard with your line of work – the creative juices can really make you binge and purge when it comes to working and needing downtime. Anthony struggles with that – it seems like the list of things he wants or needs to do never ends, and there’s no “leaving” work, yunno? That book sounds amazing too! You guys are giving me awesome homework assignments lol! Sounds like my kind of pace – slow and steady for long-term goals, which is what I want to focus on. Thanks!

3. Janet
    February 18, 2016 at 8:26 am (2 years ago)

Oh Stephanie you are being way too hard on yourself. No one can do it all, and if it appears they are, they either have a lot of help in other areas of their lives or somewhere an area(s) of their life is being short changed. We all learn along the way what works and doesn’t more importantly what brings joy into our lives. As for your hanging basket, I’m a novice Gardner, probably more fails than successes, follow the tag for sun/shade needs and buy ourself a soil moisture reader. For about $10 you will never overwater again which I have learned through trial and error is the main cause of plants not flourishing. In the mean time, pause take a breath.

• Stephanie
      February 18, 2016 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

Aw thanks Janet, you’re right – I think the number one takeaway for me is to stop comparing myself and just accomplish MY goals, and not someone else’s goals or at their pace. And omigosh, that sounds like it would help me SO much to have a soil moisture reader! I am seriously going to get that on Amazon right now! Thanks so much!