So, I’ve had a battle with our bathroom sink since we moved in. There was always this corner that pooled water every damn day, and all this gross scum made my cute pedestal sink all frat-house-looking.

I scrubbed. And scrubbed. And bleached. And Comet-ed. And nothing worked.

Then, someone (guess who? Emily, as fucking always) told me to use Bar Keeper’s Friend. And you guys, that stuff worked when I was about to give up all hope. Check it:

Before:

FullSizeRender (2)

After:

FullSizeRender (3)

It may be a subtle change to you, but this is LIFE-CHANGING for me. Pretty, white, shiny silver, lovely little sink! Yay!!

Only thing: I cannot get my bathtub to fall in line. No intimidation tactics, verbal abuse, violent threats, or even, dare I say, the unstoppable Bar Keeper’s Friend itself, can get that thing looking clean. It’s all porous and weird and when I try to bleach it it gets these brown streaks…? BKF helps, but it is still unsatisfactory. Any ideas?

My bathtub is like some intense level of evil, so I hope that in your normal life BKF can help solve any cleaning woes you may have in a flash – I had to share the good news because that shit is not messing around. Let me know what you think if you aren’t already a fan!

7 Comments on Bathroom sink miracle

1. Janet
    July 12, 2016 at 11:20 am (11 months ago)

I’ve used BKF and it is good stuff, it gives kitchen pots and pans a nice shine as well. I’ve had some successes with Oxyiclean, the detergent additive. Use it like you would cleanser on a damp sponge and let it sit awhile. Older bathroom surfaces are a challenge, good luck!

• Stephanie
      July 19, 2016 at 9:06 am (10 months ago)

Thanks Janet!

2. Mom
    July 12, 2016 at 3:06 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Honey,
    I found this thing that is amazing. It is like a pumice stone, like you would use on your feet if you were fastidious. It is gray and ugly and shaped like a bar of butter. Some even come iwth a handle. I was afraid to use i in my toilet where there was a permannent, and unfortunately colored brown stain. But the packagin assured me that it would not harm porcelian. So I forged ahead and scrubbed the toilet and, wow! it worked and did not scratch the procelain toilet. That thing is touch. Also try Magic Eraser, which lives up to it’s name. I won’t mention all the toxic remedies I’ve tried. Good luck!
    Mom

• Stephanie
      July 19, 2016 at 9:07 am (10 months ago)

Haha thanks Mom! Magic Eraser has never failed me, except with this damn bathtub. I’ll have to try that pumice thing!

3. Amy
    July 19, 2016 at 5:10 am (10 months ago)

This is how we cleaned cutting boards at restaurants and they always stayed very white. With bleach towels. So, get a role of paper towels and a jug of bleach. soak one paper towel in a bit of bleach and plaster it to the side of the tub. It will stick because it’s wet. Line those around the entire tub and even on the bottom. Anywhere there are stains. Leave them be overnight or all day and then remove them once they dry. You will peel them off to what should be a significantly whiter tub. It’s harsh, wasteful and not environmentally friendly, but it works better than anything. #trust

• Amy
      July 19, 2016 at 5:20 am (10 months ago)

You can tell you did it correctly if your lungs and eyes are burning half way through the plastering process. Your entire bathtub should lined with, soaked bleached paper towels, basically. You wear gloves so the smell of bleach on your hands doesn’t haunt you into next week.

• Stephanie
        July 19, 2016 at 9:08 am (10 months ago)

Haha dang that sounds serious – might be the only thing to do the trick!